Welcome

Thanks for checking out our site and please come back..

Followers

Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Saturday Drive

I don’t mean to sound snobbish, but what was I thinking?  Taking a drive around the Mount Rushmore area on a Saturday!!  I just wasn’t using my head.  I am not exactly antisocial, but I don’t like hoards of people and try very hard to avoid them.  Have always been more in favor of small, quiet, places rather than the more popular spots.

Today was an especially crowed day up on the mountain.  When we do  the touristy thing, we usually try to do them through the week rather than on the week end.  I mean there were cars in front of me, cars behind me, and every time I tried to pull over for a picture there was no place to park.  I thought maybe this late in the year, we might squeak by today, but it wasn’t to be.

This is actually about our 4th trip to South Dakota, so we aren’t missing anything.  In June of 08 we visited here and saw Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, and Bear Country USA.  In my opinion Bear Country is by far the most fun.  If you would like to read what I wrote at the time, click on Winter Wander Land.  It will be on page 5, the 25th, 26th, 27th, and 28th of June-08.  I have a couple of pictures I took today and a couple from 2 years ago that I will share with you.

021

Panorama 22

Panorama 2320081780836505

20081791356485

20081801031360     

I want to take this time to welcome my little sister, Jean to my followers list.  She has been a loyal reader from day one when we left our stix and brix

We started the morning with a very good breakfast at the Roundup Cafe.  Just a little hole in the wall, but delicious food, and plenty of it.

After we were through eating we had to stop and fill up with diesel.  That was a shock!  It is $3.01 a gallon here, and even higher in Rapid City.  We got it in Buffalo, Wyoming the other day for $2.73 a gallon.

We then headed for Rapid City to do a little grocery shopping at Safeway.  I was not impressed with this store.  A lot of things that I can normally find at Safeway, I couldn’t find today.  It won’t be long and I will be back to my Kroger store.

We did get to see a small group of Big Horn Sheep today, but of course there was too much traffic to stop and get a picture.

I need to get off of here and get caught up on the blogs that I read.  Stay safe….

6 comments:

Kenny And Angela's Adventure said...

My mom worked for Kroger for 25 years here in Kansas City,MO and retired from the union.They have been gone from here a long time.

Like you I hate a lot of traffic.

Have a good week..

Travels with Emma said...

Some times, you just have to brave the crowds! I keep telling myself..it's their park, too. :)

By the way, this refuge has an abundance of mule deer. The one in the RV sites yesterday was probably about a little over a year old judging by the small antlers. :)

Happytrails said...

I agree about the traffic and crowds....its just not our "thing." I am surprised that it was crowded this late in August...thinking vacations are over and school has started back. Oh well, I would be wrong!!

Take care!
Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

Rick said...

We loved the Mt. Rushmore area when we visited there a few years ago. We found out pretty quick that the best time to travel was in the morning and to try and avoid weekends. It was nice to see a few pics of the monuments to bring back some great memories.

Margie M. said...

Great pic of the presidents on Mt. Rushmore. I enjoyed traveling with you today as you visited the area. I remember those little donkey guys out on the roads when we were there many years ago.

Yeah, crowds aren't real fun, that's for sure.

Gypsy said...

I like all your pictures, but today I thought the pic of the bears was great. And of course, the bales of hay in your header picture.