Welcome

Thanks for checking out our site and please come back..

Followers

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lafayette Blue Springs State Park

 

We were told by some readers to be sure and visit this place.  I made us a picnic lunch, put a couple of soft drinks in the cooler, and we took off.  I had read on line that dogs weren’t allowed near the springs, and this was true.  One of the first signs we saw said no dogs allowed past this point so Rusty got stuck at home again.  We weren’t gone a real long time, and he does well for short periods without us.  We always ask the neighbors if they hear him and they always say not a peep.

It took us a little while to find it, but we finally did.  It was another $5.00 day use fee, but not sure I would pay that again.  It was pretty and fascinating to see all that crystal clear water, but the brochure made it out to be a lot more than it was.

We did have a very nice place to picnic and there was a nice rest area here also, but that’s about it.  There were several kids and adults swimming in it, so, it was hard to get a shot of it.  I did try to get a picture of the two turtles swimming around in the smaller of the two pools.  You may or may not be able to see them.

I guess it was the time of day we were there, but all I got pictures of, as far as the water, were reflections.  It is astounding that the flow out of this spring is between 14 million gallons and a very impressive 168 million gallons a day.

The Lafayette Blue Springs area was occupied by aboriginal people for thousands of years.  Approximately 14,000 years ago Paleo-Indian people first began to filter into the area.  Over the next 2,000 years the climate warmed and the natives subsisted on animals, fish, shellfish and wild plants found in the area.  Native Americans populated the area until the end of the Second Seminole War in 1842.  There are a number of aboriginal sites in the area.

2011-03-256 

We did spot a beautiful little green lizard.  I am not sure what they actually are called, but he was a pretty little guy.

2011-03-257

This is some pictures of the bridge to the other side of the springs.  There was also more picnic tables on that side.

2011-03-258

This is the steps leading down to the pools, but it was very steep so Donnie stayed up top while I explored a little closer.  I tried to get the turtles in one picture.  See if you can find them.

Catch you later…. :)

10 comments:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Nice park, could not spot the turtles :(

Travels with Emma said...

I found the turtles! :) Maybe the swimming is the draw for people to pay the entrance fee?

Updated by Lila Huggins (grandmother) said...

Hi,
Found your blog via Judy and Emma.
I don't have a blog yet, waiting until I talk my hubby of 38 years to retire and hit the road.
He's past retirement age (68)but he owns his own business and doesn't want to put the crews out of work in this economy. I can see his point but boy do I want to sell this house and hit the road! LOL
I'll just have to live vicariously through all you fulltimers out there! Thanks for letting us tag along!!God Bless!
Miss Lila in
Atlanta, GA
lilahuggins@gmail.com

Sam&Donna Weibel said...

Hey Pidge, Rusty is still pretty young, we didn't take Rigg's for an extended vacation trip until well after he was a year old and had made several weekends camping at the lake, when we leave,the trailer we turn the TV on low and he camps out on the couch until we get back, I am sure he will mellow some with age. be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

Unknown said...

I found the turtles... Cool - there have been many time where we've paid the $5.00 for day use but it looks like your $5.00 was worth it - clean Poor Puppy lol... That happens to us a-lot...

Alan and Marilyn McMillan said...

I found the turtles...that's quite a few steps down & back to the pools. Enjoy following your blog. Be safe!

Rick said...

Thanks for the tour - great pictures. Glad it was turtles and not alligators in that water with the swimmers!

Happytrails said...

Looks like you found another nice area to explore! I did find the turtles!! YAY

Anonymous said...

I Can't spot the turtles but I sure enjoyed looking at your photos :-)

Sue Malone said...

what a beautiful spot, Pidge! I love the collages.